Bedbugs have arrived in the UK along with the rest of Europe.
If you are like me then this is just something that you don’t need in life right now in fact anytime.
This blog post tells you: what bedbugs are, what bedbugs look like, how do you get bedbugs, where bedbugs live and hide, how & where to check for bedbugs.
As well as products and ways to get rid of bedbugs and a bedbug infestation.
This blog post may contain affiliate links.
About Bedbugs Bites
This was a shocker to me because I’ve always thought that bed bug bites were red raised blotches. However it turns out that bites on the skin are a poor indicator of a bed bug infestation.
Bed bug bites can look like bites from other insects (such as mosquitoes or chiggers), rashes (such as eczema or fungal infections), or even hives.
Here’s the big one … Some people do not react to bed bug bites at all. WTH
How the hell do you get bedbugs?
These pesky insects often live on and/or in furniture or bedding and can spread via clothing and/or luggage.
So, they can easily be transported but US in normal every day living.
Pest control services company Rentokil 65% increase in infestations from the second quarter of 2022, compared to the same period this year. Source – Bloomberg.
So you know what that means … been mindful not only where you throw your bags and coats whether that’s a hotel, office, supermarket (trolley), taxi, public transport, etc. (My grandmother is always telling me not to put my bag on the floor) but also where you sit, sleep etc.
How do you know you have bedbugs? Where do they hide?
This is what we all need to know, where the flip do they hide?
Well This will blow your mind: Bedbugs are not attracted to dirty beds they are attracted to warm hiding places with access to blood and carbon dioxide.
They hide in a pile of clothes, the bottom of the curtains near your bed, bedside lamp, plug sockets, corners of your drawers, any flipping where.
So you know what this means: declutter and hoover everywhere.
Depending on the infestation, treating bed bugs can be stressful, frustrating, complex and can take months.
There is always the option of using a pest control company but here are several potential solutions for bedbug problems with two verified and highly recommended options.
1. Door sweeps on the bottom of doors will limits the spread of the bedbugs throughout the hallway and others rooms.
3. Storage boxes with secured lids to limit hiding places.
5. Vacuum daily to pick up any stray bugs and be sure to dispose of the dust bag outside.
7. Cold treatment: Seal items in a sealed bag in the freezer at 0o F for 72 hours.
2. Sealing cracks and crevices around baseboards, light sockets, light switches etc. with sealant.
4. Portable heating chamber can be used to treat any items with bedbugs as long as over 45°C
6. Heat treatment: Use a clothes dryer on high heat.
8. Dry or Wet Steam Clean: Verified -Steam fabrics to treat carpets, flooring, rugs, cushions, bed frames, and other furniture at, at least 54.4°C
Products that DO NOT work on bed bugs.
– Rubbing alcohol and paraffin does not work and it’s crazy dangerous.
– Sticky traps are not for bed bugs.
– Ant and flea powder also do not work for bedbugs.
Have a Spider Problem?
Grab some helpful tips here.